Saturday, September 10, 2011

A Day Remembered

“I can hear you, the rest of the world hears you... and the people who knocked these buildings down will hear all of us soon.” They sure have heard us; day by day they continue to see the resilient unshakeable and determined spirit of the American people.  Ten years ago today I was in my first grade classroom when my teacher told our class that America was under attack. As a first grader I did not feel the extremity of the situation until hours later when driving home under that clear blue sky; and watching my parents as they were intently glued to the news. 

Even at that young age, my life was changed. I understood why I was proud of my country and what made America great. In any other nation this type of tragedy would make the nation weak and vulnerable; however, in the United States, we became determined to show the terrorists they did not win.

In Lance Wubbels book A Time for Heroes, he vividly describes the spirited heart of the heroes on that day.

“It was a day of unthinkable horror and destruction, but it became a day for American heroes. Heroes were everywhere you looked. Giants rose of relative obscurity to cast long shadows across the smoke and dust and rubble. Ordinary American citizens, suddenly caught in the crossfire of terrorism, put their lives on the line to preserve the lives of others. They emerged as the truly mighty and valiant ones of Flight 93. Among the smoldering wreckages of the Pentagon they stood with undimmed spirits as fire fighters unfurled a gigantic flag from the roof of the burned out structure. At ground Zero, hundreds and thousands of people on dozens of fronts searched the mountain of unstable rubble in an epic battle to win back as many lives as could possible by rescued. “(Lance Wubbels)

All the heroes of 9-11 resemble Esther in The Book of Esther 4:4 “…and If I perish I perish.”  That was the attitude of that fateful day. The spirit of the American people was present through the brave men and women; the spirit of others before yourself and the spirit of unity.

Let us never forget that day that while dented part of the American spirit, allowed us to grow back and show the rest of the world the true heart of the American people.

May God Continue to Bless the United States of America.


No comments:

Post a Comment